WOW! Have I told you that the eLearning Conference is my favorite conference to attend every year? Ok, I know this is only year 2 for me, but I also attended the ITC Leadership Academy in 2010. What sets this conference from others is the fact that it based upon community college membership and individuals who use technology to teach students and improve learning. Alright enough of that -- let me give you some information on what I brought back from the conference and include some visuals.
Dr. Jean Runyon, Dean of the Virtual Campus, Anne Arundel Community College gave a pre-conference workshop on "The First-Semester Experience for eLearners". She gave examples of how Anne Arundel CC was able to use e-Advising and a Virtual Front Door to increase persistence of online learners by 4%. All of the participants were able to discuss their best practices and we all included that GOOD Teaching is GOOD teaching irregardless of the delivery system.
We spent some time reviewing "authentic learner assessments" based upon challenging students to rethink their assumptions and applied to real world settings. Liked that statement since I prefer to use case studies and ask students to find out what is going on in the world around them as it relates to the business concepts that I teach. Dr. Runyon also stressed building presence, interactions and collaboration -- both with content, students and the instructor.
If you have an opportunity, check out the Virtual Campus Tours that we went on for best practices:
Rio Salado CC; Oregon State University or Central Piedmont CC.
The Floyd and Casey-Powell Model was reviewed regarding the phases that students go through in online learning including:
- Learner Intake Phase
- Learner Intervention Phase
- Learner Support Phase
- Learner Transition Phase
- Measurement Phase.
We had opportunities to discuss and share throughout the session -- so my first day at eLearning 2012 was a "HIT". However the evening was starting and it was off to an adventure -- riding the train into downtown LA -- that's right Hollywood and Vine for some sightseeing. Check out the photo of me and George Clooney. Well at least of my feet in his footprints.

Here are some other photos that might pique your interest as well.




The fact that it became your favorite after only one year speaks highly of it, and I can see why! Conferences that keep you engaged are rare--thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Kathy! Is the Floyd and Casey-Powell Model for online learning supposed to describe all online students in each new online course or novice online learners in their first online course?
ReplyDeleteThanks for the post. Great when you can find a conference that inspires and gives tons of new ideas to share with your friends.
ReplyDeleteThat's much the same way that I felt after the first couple of times that I attended this conference. Now I've gone to 8 of the last 9 with no plans on cutting back. It was great seeing you there. Thanks for the links as well.
ReplyDelete