Now, thinking over our conversation, I realize the unspoken question really being asked was "Do you really think all Roane State students will want to take all of their classes entirely on their mobile phones?"
The answer to that question is no.
Mobile and web-based education isn't going to be an all or nothing experience. We (meaning I) often have a impulse to rush out toward the edge of the new thing and imagine that it will somehow completely replace whatever is already going on. This doesn't happen. More often than not, the new thing complements, enhances or just sits side-by-side with whatever is already going on.
Imagining that mobile and web-based learning will somehow completely replace traditional classroom learning (whatever that is) is the wrong premise.
Most Roane State students will never want to take all of their classes completely through their phones, tablets or other mobile devices. That's not what we should be building.
The day is very near, however, when all Roane State students will expect to be able to quickly and easily check their assignments, post to a class discussion, do a little research or ask for tutoring help while sitting at Starbucks, riding in a car or waiting in a line.
Mobile learning doesn't have to be about 24/7 connectivity but rather about 24/7 accessibility.
From my own experience, I realize that just because I can do something online from my phone doesn't mean I always will. I don't like to read a lot of text on my iPhone. When I'm at home or in my office, I don't usually read that way. But when I'm somewhere else, I love having that ability. I love having options.
Mobile and web-based learning provides flexibility (options and choices) to both faculty and students on how, when and where they access their course materials. We need to design more of our learning experiences and learning support services with this in mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment