Friday, June 3, 2011

EdTech Academy 2011

Summer is great. Its a time to slow down, recharge and think great thoughts. Helps to have lots of great people around to help you with those great thoughts. Roane State's first ever Educational Technology Academy closed just an hour or so ago and I'm just now sorting through all the terrific ideas, concepts and tips I picked up.

TBR's Robbie Melton presented on Mobile Technologies and the growing app culture that offers a new category of learning tools Roane State faculty can adopt and place in our personal teaching toolkits.

Barry Dahl lead several discussions about quality in online education with an emphasis on scrutinizing some of the easy assumptions sometimes made about the rigor and engagement possible with web-based learning.

Both speakers were terrific and inspiring. For me, one of the great takeaways is how much talent we already have in-house. I didn't have to go anywhere to find professional development. I benefited from a few days spent with the smart, talented people I already spend time with everyday.

Roane State is lucky to have great people. More thoughts coming, I imagine. But one thought for now: if you missed it this year, don't miss it next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment